Sunday, November 21, 2010

Round 13 - 11/19/10

So, I’m a little later in updating this time. I had to work Saturday (went to the gym Friday night) and then we had our work Christmas party right after. I ate a lot (fat girl flashbacks, haha) and drank a bit and I’m just ready to get back on track. I need to drink lots of water today and get back to eating when I feel hungry. Dinner was so good last night, but I have no intention of doing that again for a while. The last time I ate most (or all) of a big dinner by myself and a full dessert to myself was probably a year ago. I don’t really regret it, but I’m back in “healthy” mode now.


But anyway, my workout on Friday was good in some parts and bad in others. I hate HSPU (handstand push up) progression. The one way I tried it (putting my feet up on the wall) made my arms tired after only a few tries and I couldn’t walk myself in any more. The second way I tried it was with a mat beneath me. I would put the top of my head on the mat (which felt so weird) and try to kick up a bit. That was going okay until I accidentally over kicked too much and ended up against the wall completely and totally unprepared. My arms weren’t straight and my spine wasn’t straight and I crumbled and kind of panicked.


I was done after that, haha. My neck kinda hurt for a few minutes after.


Next we went onto power cleans which I think went much better this time. The techniques finally coming more naturally and these felt a lot more fluid. I had a few slip ups, but it was easy to tell what I’d done wrong. I got up to 57lbs for 2 reps of 3. Still not my favorite exercise though. I’m at least glad I can see improvement.


Lastly we had to pick a cardio machine to do Tabata on. I’m a runner, so I picked the treadmill. You just can’t sprint the same way on the rower or the bike because you’re relying on the machine to help you move. I’d rather just run.


I ran the sprints at 10mph and it was hard. I started at 9.5 but that felt easy. I went up to 10 for the first 5, came back down to 9.5 for two of the rounds and then back up to 10 for the last one. It felt really awesome. I was dripping by the end of it. I think most people avoided the treadmill because it was probably harder aerobically, but the movement is just so much more natural to me. After the first two exercises I wanted something I knew how to do.


And that’s all for today. I’m going back tomorrow, so I’ll update then. Hope everyone had a great weekend!


- N

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the things I enjoy the most about hearing your Crossfit experiences is learning all about the different things you can do when you're there. Do you ever really do the same thing twice in a row?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...yes and no. It's the same principle of power lifting with conditioning exercises. Some days are more oriented towards one than the other. It's the skills exercises that are kind of unusual (and that I like the least I think. I'm not a gymnast and I don't like being upside down, lol). My favorite days are the ones where we focus on the conditioning exercises and I just feel doooooone after. The power lifting exercises are kind of core exercises that stay the same mostly, the conditioning exercises are the same too but we do different variations of the core exercises.

    I like when I don't know what's coming, haha.

    ReplyDelete