Friday, December 3, 2010

Round 21 - 12/3/10

The gym was pretty empty again today too. There were two other girls there with me and one guy was finishing up his own workout (not WOD). I actually ended up having a pretty awesome time. Both the girls there were experienced Crossfitters, so they were really helpful and encouraging through the whole workout (plus I had the trainer). I went over to change some of the weights for my hang squat cleans and one just randomly gave me a tip on my form. It was just cool. We ended up laughing and joking around in between sets of the workout and everyone was cheering me on as I tried to finish mine. I really loved that.


The WOD was all the things I hate (except HSPU, haha). There was lots of Olympic lifting and my form’s still not great on that so it intimidates me. I was hoping today might help me improve.


Well, it did. First up were hang squat cleans. They weren’t going well at all at first. I was curling. I wasn’t exploding into the move or keeping my arms straight and I was squatting before I had even finished the clean. The trainer said sometimes you need to add weight to force the technique (as in I wont be able to curl it, so I’ll have no choice but to clean it). That actually seemed to work this time! I did so many reps and I ended up cleaning 78lbs! It was so heavy to hold and I thought there was no way I could have lifted it...but I did because I jumped and exploded and got under the bar. It actually started to feel pretty good after a while!


Next we did a 15-12-9 circuit (so three exercises at 15, then 12, then 9). The first exercise in the circuit was power cleans (meaning it’s exactly like the beginning exercise except you don’t squat and you start at the ground instead of holding the bar at your hips). I like the hang power cleans and the hang squat cleans much better. The movement for power cleans just isn’t fluid to me. I think I started to get the hang of it in the end, but I was getting tired too so it’s hard to say. Starting from the ground and then going into the clean is really tricky.


The second exercise was front squats. One of the girls said to me “just make sure once you start squatting you don’t stop because otherwise you just have to clean again”. I laughed, because that’s exactly what I had been doing and it was exhausting. I kicked myself every time I put the bar down because I just had to clean again.


I ended up using 50lbs for both these exercises.


The last exercise in the circuit was ring dips (or regular dips). I’m not strong enough to do either yet, so I just did some pushups. You had to do double the amount of dips (or pushups in my case) that you did cleans and squats. I don’t know how or why but my legs even hurt during the pushups. It was totally random.


And then I had to do two more sets at 12 and 9. I was soaked by the end of it, haha.


Some good things to notice though, my wrists hurt way less during all the exercises. I only started to feel them bugging me during the pushups.


And that was my WOD! I’m off until Monday (when I’ll have to go after work), but all-in-all I think I did much better than I anticipated in this workout.


Have a great weekend!


- N

0 comments:

Post a Comment